Mike Allen has been appointed the new group head of sport for Reach’s national titles – Daily and Sunday Mirror, The People, Daily and Sunday Express, Daily Star and Star on Sunday.
He was previously sports news editor on the Mirror after joining the paper in 2001 from the Express, where he was head of sport.
Allen (pictured above) won a three-way battle for the new role. Dominic Hart, sports editor of the Daily Mirror from 1998-2014 and, more recently, head of Mirror sport, has left Reach.
Howard Wheatcroft (left), head of sport for Reach’s Express and Star titles, stays on.
The appointments were made on Friday evening as the sports department prepared for a leaving party to mark their move from Canary Wharf. They join the Express and Star production teams as the papers continue their merger.
Allen, who started as a sports sub on the Daily Express in January 1986, joins a small band of people to have worked at all three Express buildings – Fleet Street, Blackfriars and now Lower Thames Street.
- SJA in call for more diversity
- Pair raising money for Vikki Orvice and Ralph Ellis
- Photographer of the year Mark Thompson’s winning gallery
- Winners 2018 photography categories
- A double act and new faces – broadcast highlights
- Year of the dinosaur – writing highlights
- Photo gallery: specialist portfolio
- Photo gallery: football portfolio
- Photo gallery: sports portfolio
- Photo gallery: away from the action
- Young writer, photographer and broadcast winners 2018