The officers and committee of the SJA send their best wishes for a speedy recovery to Barry Newcombe, our immediate past chairman, who broke his hip after a recent fall at home.
Newcombe’s not enjoyed the best of health in recent times, and this latest set back came just as he was preparing to fly out to Qatar, where AIPS, the international sports press organisation, is staging its annual congress.
In a career spanning more than 50 years, Newcombe started covering rugby for the Chronicle and Echo in Northampton in 1957, worked at 50 Wimbledon tennis championships and was the British Olympic Association’s media liaison at four Games, from 2000 to 2012.
And he was the longest standing chairman of the SJA, from 2006 to 2013.
He is determined to continue his presence at Association events, and is hoping to be at the SJA British Sports Journalism Awards in a fortnight.
“I want to be at the Awards diner, so I am working towards that,” he said in a message to colleagues today.
- The SJA is the largest member organisation of sports media professionals in the world. Join us: Click here for more details
- This year, the SJA’s nominated good cause is The Journalists’ Charity. To find out more and how you can donate on a one-off or regular basis, go to www.journalistscharity.org.uk
UPCOMING SJA EVENTS
- Mon Feb 22: SJA British Sports Journalism Awards, sponsored by BT Sport
- Mon Mar 7: SJA Diversity Forum, sponsored by BT Sport
- Wed May 11: VIP York Race Day, sponsored by Ladbrokes