London staging the Olympics for a third time is all somewhat more real from today, with – as you cannot fail to notice – just one year to go until the Opening Ceremony of the 2012 Games.
Sports editors, specialist correspondents and freelancers will be beginning to try to work out how to handle what promises to be 16 days of story-packed action, and there are now two useful online devices to help guide you across the Olympic Park, Lord’s, Greenwich Park and the other venues between the team archery, synchro swimming and the Greco-Roman wrestling.
- BBC Online launched its online scheduler yesterday. Clear and simple to follow, it provides day-by-day timings , sport-by-sport, event-by-event.
- The Telegraph has offered a similar online tool, too, which also has helpful choices between dates, sports and venues, with the facility for you to sset your own filters to find the information you need, as well as links to the newspapers regular coverage.
Just 366 days to go, you better get your personal planner out…
UPCOMING SJA DATES
- Thu Aug 18: Lunch with Sir Clive Woodward, performance director of the BOA, on plans for the 2012 Olympics with just one year until the London Games. For booking details click here.
- Mon Sep 12: SJA Autumn Golf Day, Muswell Hill GC. Click here for more details and to book yourself in for the day.
- Wed Dec 7: SJA 2011 British Sports Awards – Booking now open. For more details, click here.
All details subject to alteration. Keep checking sportsjournalists.co.uk for updates