SJA member Anthony Clavane has been celebrating having his book, Promised Land, voted as Sports Book of the Year.
The Sunday Mirror writer’s book chartes his rites of passage with Leeds United. It won the football book category at the British Sports Book Awards last month, and so went forward against the other category winners for a public ballot.
Promised Land, published by Yellow Jersey Press, beat 61 The Spurs Double, an illustrated book about Tottenham Hotspur’s double-winning side, and former England rugby international Brian Moore’s autobiography Beware of the Dog.
“It is really pleasing the book has won the public vote. I am glad it appears to have had an appeal beyond footbal,” Clavane said.
“It took me a few years to research and write, but I wanted to pay tribute to the community I came from. The story of my city and its football team is a fascinating one. It’s nice to see that many people outside Leeds think so too.”
The book is out in paperback – retitled Promised Land: A Northern Love Story – on July 7.
- For more book reviews and news from the sports publishing business, click here
UPCOMING SJA DATES
- Nominate an SJA member to carry the torch on 2012 Olympic Torch Relay. Click here for details. Deadline June 27
- Thu July 14: SJA Sporting lunch with Charles van Commenee, head coach of UK Athletics, one year ahead of the London Olympics. For booking details click here.
- Mon Sep 12: SJA Autumn Golf Day, Muswell Hill GC. Click here for more details and to book yourself in for the day.
- Wed Dec 7: SJA 2011 British Sports Awards – Booking now open. For more details, click here.
All details subject to alteration. Keep checking sportsjournalists.co.uk for updates