There’s just a week until the SJA will be mailing all its 800-plus members to invite them to vote for their Sportsman, Sportswoman and Team of the Year.
The SJA’s choices of successors to the champions of 2010, AP McCoy, Jessica Ennis and the European Ryder Cup team, will be revealed at the Associations gala annual awards lunch, this year being staged at the Grand Connaught Rooms in central London on Wednesday, December 7.
Before that, though, SJA members are encouraged to cast their votes.
There will be an online voting form as well as a postal option. Voting is strictly restricted to paid-up members of the SJA.
The SJAs are the longest established sports awards in the UK, with a rich history dating back to 1949.
Past winners include four-minute-miling history-maker Roger Bannister, Olympic champion swimmer Anita Lonsbrough, boxing world champion Terry Downes 50 years ago in 1961, three-day eventer Princess Anne 40 years ago, all-rounder Denise Lewis was a three-time winner, golfer Laura Davies won twice, while golden rower Steve Redgrave and super cyclist Chris Hoy also both won the accolades from the country’s top sports journalists as individuals and members of winning teams.
Ten years ago, the SJA’s champions of champions were David Beckham and modern pentathlete Stephanie Cook.
Because they are chosen by the country’s top sports journalists, the SJAs are recognised throughout British sport as prizes that really matter – chosen by the people who watch, study and analyse the competitors’ performances, week-in, week-out.
This week’s mailshot will include a number of other forms and notices for SJA members, including an opportunity to make sure your own personal details – address, email, phone – are up-to-date on the Association’s member database.
- And if you don’t receive this week’s mailshot, or if you are not getting our regular members’ emails, then you probably need to contact Martin Castle at email@example.com with your latest contact details straight away.
- Only SJA members are eligible for our special ticket offer for the British Sports Awards on December 7. They are entitled to buy up to two tickets for the event, including a champagne reception, sumptuous three-course meal, and a half-bottle of wine, all for just £60 (plus VAT) each.
- Additional tickets are also available at the non-members’ rate of £120 (plus VAT) each.
- For a ticket booking form, click here.
- All enquiries to Martin Castle at event organisers Start2Finish on 020 8916 2492.