Thomson Reuters are looking for a sports correspondent to cover Iberia, providing in-depth coverage of all areas of Spanish and Portuguese sport and sports news.
This role will involve producing a glut of action-led coverage at national and international level, but the requirement goes far deeper. Real Madrid and Barcelona are just two clubs on the patch with enormous global followings while the national team remains a major force.
The sports correspondent will be able to tell the story of those clubs and the national side from every angle, with authority and panache. This will mean developing and or strengthening contacts at those clubs, and others in the league, to ensure we are always on top of the sports news angles, as well as reporting what’s happening on the pitch.
He or she will be a constant source of ideas and suggestions for spot news, interviews, features and more. This is a fantastic opportunity to excel across a huge range of journalistic disciplines, from spotting short brights and briefs to putting together detailed investigative stories.
Reuters is a totally committed multi-media operation so an ability to produce video and take pictures, as well as working with the specialists in those areas, is essential.
Similarly, there is a key relationship with our operations in Madrid, Lisbon and Barcelona, where co-operation and collaboration are absolutely central. The role will also involve overseeing coverage of Portuguese sport, which is also a potentially rich source of stories with an international appeal. Good knowledge and interest of all sport, but particularly football, across Europe is also expected.
About the Role
As Iberia Sports Correspondent, you will:
- Provide fast, agenda-setting and engaging news coverage of the biggest sports stories in the region, telling stories in a variety of ways to meet the needs of all our clients.
- Continually come up with original and insightful story ideas, working closely with regional editors, other bureaus, and news and sports colleagues around the world.
As our Iberia Sports Correspondent you will have:
- Excellent news judgment and ability to prioritise news coverage
- Proven ability to write fast and well under time pressure
- Strong understanding of multimedia news planning (some visuals experience is desirable)
- A good level of working Spanish
- Working Portuguese is desirable
- Global Career: As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
- Learning & Development: On the job learning and coaching. We also have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our journalists
- Benefits: We offer competitive salary packages and market leading benefits including paid volunteering days
- Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories.
- Opportunities: Be part of multi-skilled teams reporting from major international soccer tournaments, Olympic Games and other global sports events.