From British Gymnastics
Ahead of the 2011 world championships in Tokyo (October 7-16), media are invited to attend a training session for both the men’s and women’s artistic gymnastics squads on Wednesday September 14 at Lilleshall National Sports Centre, Shropshire, TF10 9NB.
The world championships will serve as the first 2012 Olympic Qualification competition with both Great Britain teams aiming to finish in the top eight in order to be fully represented at London 2012. At the 2010 world championships in Rotterdam, the British women finished in fifth and the men in fourth position.
This Media Day will be the only chance to photograph, interview and film the gymnasts and performance director. Those attending will include:
British Gymnastics Olympic Performance Director Tim Jones
Three- time World champion Beth Tweddle MBE (Liverpool)
2008 Olympic pommel horse bronze medallist Louis Smith (Huntingdon)
2009 World All-around silver medallist, Daniel Keatings (Huntingdon)
2010 World floor bronze medallist Daniel Purvis (Southport)
2009 World all-around 6th placed gymnast Kristian Thomas (Wolverhampton)
2010 Youth Olympic Games high bar champion Sam Oldham (Nottingham)
2010 Commonwealth Games vault and floor champion Imogen Cairns (Bristol)
2011 British champion Hannah Whelan (Liverpool), along with a further 16 elite gymnasts who form the British senior squads.
Selection for the world championships teams will be confirmed week beginning September 26.
The approximate schedule for the Media Day is:
- 10.30am Media are invited to observe the gymnasts in training from the public gallery. Photographers and film crews will be granted access to the gym floor to film and take action shots (no flash photography). No interviews during this time.
- 12.30-1pm Lunch
- 1pm – 2pm Male gymnasts return to gym for photos followed by interviews
- 2pm-3pm Female gymnasts return to gym for photos followed by interviews
If you wish to attend, or require more details, please, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your details, names, approximate arrival time and suggested interview requests.
UPCOMING SJA DATES
- Mon Sep 12: SJA Autumn Golf Day, Muswell Hill GC. Click here for more details and to book yourself in for the day.
- Wed Dec 7: SJA 2011 British Sports Awards – Booking now open. For more details, click here.
All details subject to alteration. Keep checking sportsjournalists.co.uk for updates