The Sports Journalists’ Association is providing its support to a Global Symposium on Science and Ethics in Sport, organised by Laureus and being staged in London on October 3.
This ground-breaking symposium, sponsored by The Times, is an effort to encourage dialogue and to increase the level of understanding and awareness of the important roles science and ethics play in sport.
Double Olympic gold medallist Edwin Moses, the chairman of the Laureus World Sports Academy and member of the US Anti-Doping Agency’s board of directors, will be joined by Laureus Academy Members, Boris Becker and Daley Thompson, top athlete Colin Jackson as well as leading experts in anti-doping science to discuss topics including:
- The future of detection and deterrence as we move into an Olympic year
- Why blood testing is vital to a successful programme
- Catching the sophisticated doper
- The ethical importance of doping controls
- The case for sport as a positive influence
The Anti-Doping Science and Ethics in Sport Symposium will directly follow the USADA and UK Anti-Doping Science Symposium, where programme administrators, laboratory directors, pharmaceutical industry and academic scientists from around the globe are meeting to discuss the issue of growth hormone.
Among the invited anti-doping experts taking part on October 3 will be: Dr Larry Bowers, Chief Science Officer, USADA; Professor David Cowan, Director of King’s College London’s Drug Control Centre; Olivier Niggli, WADA Legal Director and Partner, Carrard & Associates; and Andy Parkinson, Chief Executive, UK Anti-Doping; Jonathan Harris, LOCOG Medical Services Manager Anti-Doping.
The agenda includes:
• 10.30 – Introduction by Dr. Edwin Moses
• 10.45 – The science behind detection and deterrence
• 11.05 – Anti-Doping in 2012 and beyond
• 11.55 – Can the drug cheats ever be stopped – the ethical debate
• A hosted luncheon will take place directly after the symposium
SJA members are invited to attend, but must reserve a place. For more information and to confirm attendance, please contact: Kathrin Schira at email@example.com or by phone at 020 7514 2749.
UPCOMING SJA DATES
- Wed Dec 7: SJA 2011 British Sports Awards – Book a table before Oct 1 and SAVE £200. For more details, click here.
All details subject to alteration. Keep checking sportsjournalists.co.uk for updates