The Great Britain rowing team will announce its squad for the 2011 world championships during a press day at the national training centre in Caversham, near Reading on Tuesday July 19.
The 2011 world championships take place in Bled, Slovenia, from August 28 – September 4, and this year double as the Olympic and Paralympic qualifying regatta for 2012. Britain will seek to qualify as many boats as possible here for 2012.
As the squad departs for European-based training camps in late July and August and goes straight into the world championships from these camps, this is the last opportunity for interviews in the UK before the championships.
- WHERE: The Redgrave and Pinsent Rowing Lake, Caversham (see below for detailed directions).
- WHEN: Tuesday July 19.
- WHAT: 07.30-9.30 – Opportunity to film and photograph the rowers in training
- 09.30-10.15 – Media breakfast
- 10.15-10.45 – Rowers and key performance staff join breakfast
- 11.00 – 1130 – Press conference & questions
- 11.30 – 13.30 – One-to-one interviews, filming and crew photography
- 11.30 – 11.50 – Crew by crew photographs
- 11.50 – 13.30 – One-to-one interviews
- Please RSVP to email@example.com if you wish to attend and if you wish to pre-book an individual interview with a particular rower.
WHO: The GB squad looks set to include medal rowers from the world championships of 2009 and 2010 and previous Olympic and Paralympic Games, including: Katherine Grainger, Anna Watkins, Mark Hunter, Tom James, Matt Langridge, Ric Egington, Greg Searle Alex Partridge, Moe Sbihi, Phelan Hill, Heather Goodsell, Sophie Hosking, Paul Mattick, Richard Chambers, Rob Williams, Helen Glover, Heather Stanning, Pete Reed, Andrew Triggs Hodge, Annie Vernon, Beth Rodford, Tom Aggar, Dave Smith and Naomi Riches, as well as recent recruits to the sport from schemes like the Siemens-sponsored and lottery-funded Start programme and Sporting Giants will be on hand for interview.
DIRECTIONS: The Sherriff’s Boat House at the training lake is just off the A4155 between Caversham and Henley.
Directions from Reading:
1) Take the A4155 from Reading towards Caversham and Henley.
2) From Caversham centre take the A4155 towards Henley.
3) Eventually (approx 2 miles) you will come to a set of traffic lights. Immediately after this set of traffic lights there is a right-hand turn which is signposted Lafarge Quarry and SherrifF’s Boat-house/RPRL. Take this turning and carry on down the private road driving slowly and being aware of site traffic – until you get an option to branch off left to Sheriff’s Boathouse.
Directions from Henley:
Take a left turn at the traffic lights mentioned at (3) above and continue as per the instructions.
Directions from London:
1) M4 – Exit the M4 at Junction 8 (signposted High Wycombe, Henley, Maidenhead)
2) A404 (M) – At the roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A404 (M) (signposted High Wycombe, Henley)
3) A404 (M) – Exit the A404 (M) at Junction 9b (signposted Reading, Maidenhead)
4) A4 – At the roundabout take the 1st exit onto the Bath Road A4 (signposted Reading)
5) A4 – Continue on the A4 over the next 3 roundabouts
6) B478 – At the next roundabout take the 3rd exit B478 (signposted Sonning)
7) B478 – At the next roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Playhatch Road B478
8 ) A4155 – At the next roundabout continue forward A4155
9) At the set of traffic lights left turn left into the Marina
10) Continue down the road bearing left until you reach the Redgrave Pinsent Rowing Lake
- For all questions, interview booking and more details, please call Caroline Searle on 07831 755351 or Andy Sloan on 07714 168391 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
UPCOMING SJA DATES
- Thu July 14: SJA Sporting lunch with Charles van Commenee, head coach of UK Athletics, one year ahead of the London Olympics. For booking details click here.
- Mon Sep 12: SJA Autumn Golf Day, Muswell Hill GC. Click here for more details and to book yourself in for the day.
- Wed Dec 7: SJA 2011 British Sports Awards – Booking now open. For more details, click here.
All details subject to alteration. Keep checking sportsjournalists.co.uk for updates