Roger Federer and Blanka Vlasic have been voted the European Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year for 2009 in the 27th annual poll conducted by the European Sports Press Union (UEPS).
It is the fifth time in six years that Switzerland’s Federer has won the Frank Taylor Trophy, named after the former Daily Mirror sports writer and former President of AIPS and UEPS.
Federer finished well ahead in the men’s poll with 54 points from Jenson Button, the SJA’s Sportsman of the Year.
Vlasic won the high jump at the athletics World Championships in Berlin, and headed Federica Pellegrini, Italy’s double world champion swimmer.
The poll was conducted among the national sports journalism associations in Europe, and for the first time, European press agencies.
MEN – Frank Taylor Trophy
1. Roger Federer (Switzerland, tennis) – 54 points
2. Jenson Button (Great Britain/Formula 1) 18
3. Ole Einar Bjoerndalen (Norway/biathlon) 13
4. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, football) 11
5. Hernandez Xavi (Spain/football) 7
Petter Northug (Norway/nordic skiing) 7
WOMEN – Evgen Bergant Trophy
1. Blanka Vlasic (Croatia, athletics) 30 points
2. Federica Pellegrini (Italy/swimming) 22
3. Yelena Isinbayeva (Russia, athletics) 20
4. Kim Clijsters (Belgium/tennis) 15
5. Britta Steffen (Germany, swimming) 11
6. Justyna Kowalczyk (Poland/nordic ski) 9
Your SJA subscription was due from JANUARY 1 – click here for details of how to make your payment