BRENDAN MONKS, this year’s chairman of judges for the SJA’s British Sports Photography Awards, introduces the four short-lists, from which will emerge our next Sports Photographer of the Year at our presentation dinner being staged in London on March 24
The judging of the sports photography awards went very smoothly, with obvious winners in the two portfolio categories.
There was much discussion in the news picture and single sports picture sections, but unanimous decisions were eventually reached.
It was not a vintage year, possibly because of there being no major summer tournament, with no Olympic Games or World Cup, but I feel we have chosen worthy winners.
The photography category short-lists (all in alphabetical order) are:
Sports News Picture
Andrew Boyers (Action Images), Laurence Griffiths (Getty Images), Toby Melville (Reuters), Stuart Robinson (Express Newspapers), Simon Stackpole (Offside), Darren Staples (Reuters)
Paul Childs (Action Images), Laurence Griffiths (Getty Images), Clive Rose (Getty Images), David Shopland (Daily Mail/Mail Online), John Sibley (Action Images), Edward Whitaker (Racing Post)
Specialist Sports Portfolio
Philip Brown (Reuters), Anthony Devlin (PA Images), Bryn Lennon (Getty Images), Toby Melville (Reuters), Carl Recine (Action Images), Andrew Redington (Getty Images)
Mike Egerton (PA Images), Julian Finney (Getty Images), Carl Recine (Action Images), Clive Rose (Getty Images), David Shopland (Daily Mail/Mail Online), Lee Smith (Action Images)
- To view a gallery of pictures short-listed in the Sports Picture and Sports News Picture categories, click here
- All the short-listed pictures, including selections from short-listed photographers in the portfolio categories, will be on display in an exhibition at the Grand Connaught Rooms from 6pm on the night of the SJA awards dinner.
- The SJA Sports Photographer of the Year, who receives the Ed Lacey Trophy, is selected from the overall winner of the sports portfolio or the specialist sports portfolio categories, and will be announced at our awards, on Monday, March 24
- Prizes in the SJA’s Sports Broadcasting categories are determined by a vote of the SJA’s members.
- Short-lists for the writing, website and cartoon categories were announced last week. Click here for more details
Make sure you don’t miss out on the gala celebration of the best of British sports journalism by booking your ticket – or even a table – for the SJA British Sports Journalism Awards on Monday March 24 at the Grand Connaught Rooms in London’s Covent Garden.
The event begins at 6pm, with a champagne reception and opportunity to view an exhibition of many of the leading entries in the photography categories, prior to a three-course dinner and the presentation of the awards.
There are special ticket discounts available to paid-up SJA members. But hurry – tickets are already selling fast.
- Click here to make a booking online, or contact our event organisers, Start2Finish, on 020 8916 2492 or by email to email@example.com for more details
- The SJA is the largest member organisation of sports media professionals in the world. Join us: Click here for more details
UPCOMING SJA EVENTS