The Sports Journalists’ Association, the Black Collective of Media in Sport (BCOMS), Sports Media LGBT+, Football Writers’ Association and writers’ groups from every other major sport have joined forces to form the Sports Freelancer Collective. The Sports FC represents writers, broadcasters and photographers from sport, who have suddenly found themselves with no income.
Today we have all called on the government to help our members whose industry has been entirely shut down. Specifically we have demanded that:
- Boris Johnson follows the lead of Germany and Canada and provides compensation or a base salary for freelance workers
- HMRC defers its date to collect payments on account, currently due on July 31st 2020, until December 2020 as a minimum and to review this at a later stage
- The IR35 policy be abolished
- Journalists who fall ill during this pandemic be included in statutory sick pay for the time of their illness
- The shortfall of support for the majority in the private rental sector be supported by organising the deferment of rental payments until all supporters and workers are allowed back into fully open sporting stadia
If there is anyone with information they would like to share with the collective, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @sportsja
A very quick update on the IR35 situation. The reforms will be delayed by a year. See HERE for more details.
A mortgage broker has very kindly proposed his services to elucidate any questions those of us who have a mortgage would like to ask. Queries to email@example.com
He already recommended having a look HERE