From William Kings, Secretary, Badminton Writers’ Association
Badminton’s Olympic qualifying race has entered its final months, but there are still some key home dates in the international calendar where media can follow London 2012 hopefuls.
From February 3-5 it is National Championships weekend worldwide. The English National Championships, supported by Badminton England, Manchester City Council, Hi-Tec and Case Security, will be at Bolton Arena. The Yonex Scottish National Championships will be at the Bell’s Sports Centre in Perth.
Two of the three mixed doubles pairings in contention for placing in Britain’s Olympic team are Anglo-Scottish, so England’s Nathan Robertson and Jenny Wallwork are the only pairing competing in Bolton. However, England’s Chris Adcock and Gabby White are teaming up in Bolton while their partners, Imogen Bankier and Robert Blair, are expected to compete in Perth.
- For accreditation forms for the English Nationals contact email@example.com
- For the Scottish Nationals contact Peter Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org
All the Great Briatin hopefuls will be in action at the Yonex All England Open Championships at Birmingham’s National Indoor Arena from March 6-11. The All England is one of five Premier events on the OSIM BWF World Superseries 2012.
- To apply for All England accreditation contact email@example.com. Accreditation deadline is February 1.
Before the All England there will be a media opportunity to meet the GB hopefuls on Wednesday, February 8, at the National Badminton Centre in Milton Keynes. To attend the media day please contact Kate Manning at Badminton England on firstname.lastname@example.org
The last qualifier for London 2012 is the Indian Open Superseries event from April 24-29. Please note: once the GB squad is announced in late May or early June, there will be other media opportunites.
- The 30th Badminton Writers’ Association annual awards lunch will be on All England Friday (March 9) at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens. It looks like being the last under the BWA banner and BWA members past and present are being urged to attend. For details email email@example.com
- JOIN THE SJA and benefit from a recognised press card, priority entry to key events and significant discounts and members offers on a range of activities, including entry fees for the SJA British Sports Journalism and Photography Awards.
- Click here for details of SJA membership and application forms.