How can you better report on disabled people in sport?
The English Federation of Disability Sport, together with ComRes and the Sports Journalists’ Association, is staging a free event for journalists and those who provide news content on disabled people in sport.
The event will be on Thursday, August 25, from 11.45am to 2.30pm, at ComRes, 4 Millbank, Westminster, London, SW1P 3JA (closest Tube is Westminster).
• David Walker, Daily Mirror Sports Editor and the SJA’s immediate past chairman
• Barry Horne, Chief Executive, English Federation of Disability Sport
• Tom Mludzinski, Director of Political and Social Polling, ComRes
• Sarah Marl, Marketing and Communications Manager, English Federation of Disability Sport
This lunchtime presentation will explore perceptions of sports news involving disabled people. The EFDS has recently completed asome research, and will be presenting its findings at the event.
“Using the research findings, we will also reveal our helpful guide for journalists and communication professionals in sport,” Marl said.
“Recognising journalists’ news preferences, the guide also supports writers to produce content in line with readers’ wishes.”
The panel discussion will also explore
• What resources and information are available to journalists to help more accurately report on disabled people in sport and activity?
• How can the media work to ensure the content and language used in reporting on disabled people in sport and activity is as effective and appropriate as possible?
• How do different types of stories and features impact levels of public interest in sport and activity for disabled people?
• In what ways can the media portray disabled people and athletes more effectively?
The discussion takes place from midday. It is arranged as a working lunch and networking opportunity.
This event is free of charge but registration is essential. Places are limited so to avoid disappointment, please register using this link. The deadline for registration is Thursday 18 August.
If you have any queries, please email Sarah Marl on email@example.com or call 07764 291671.
- The SJA is the largest member organisation of sports media professionals in the world. Join us: Click here for more details
FORTHCOMING SJA EVENTS
- Thu Dec 15, 2016: SJA British Sports Awards, sponsored by The National Lottery
- Mon Feb 27, 2017: SJA British Sports Journalism Awards, sponsored by BT Sport